Re: Index bloat problem?

From: Bill Chandler <billybobc1210(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Mischa Sandberg <mischa(dot)sandberg(at)telus(dot)net>, pgsql-perform <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index bloat problem?
Date: 2005-04-21 22:59:26
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mischa,

Thanks. Yes, I understand that not having a large
enough max_fsm_pages is a problem and I think that it
is most likely the case for the client. What I wasn't
sure of was if the index bloat we're seeing is the
result of the "bleeding" you're talking about or
something else.

If I deleted 75% of the rows but had a max_fsm_pages
setting that still exceeded the pages required (as
indicated in VACUUM output), would that solve my
indexing problem or would I still need to REINDEX
after such a purge?

regards,

Bill