BUG #1613: Installation flaw

From: "" <hyperspacez(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1613: Installation flaw
Date: 2005-04-21 15:01:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1613
Logged by:
Email address: hyperspacez(at)yahoo(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.2
Operating system: Windows XP
Details:

Hello,
I am a new user of PostgreSQL. However, when I went to install it on my
Windows XP machine, it was running fine until I ran into the screen where it
asks me for my account name, password, and whether to run as service or not.
When I entered a simple password, it (the installer) said I was using a
possibly insecure password, and asked me if I want to use a randomly chosen
when. When I clicked 'Yes', it showed me the randomly generated password
which was horrendously long. When I clicked the 'back' button on the
installer so that I could change it back to my original one, and then
clicked 'Next' after retyping my original password, it gave me this error:
Account Error: "Invalid username specified. Logon failure: unknown user name
or bad password" - It somehow set a flag saying the password is set (for the
installer!!!), and I didn't write down the long and abstract randomly
generated one, so now I can't install it because I get this error over and
over. If I change the account name or the service name, I get this error:
Account Error: "Internal account lookup failure: No mapping between account
names and security IDs was done" and am still unable to install PostegreSQL
even though I hadn't installed a file from the actual installer. Might you
know how to unset the password flag from the installer? I tried cleaning my
registry and re-extracting postgre from the archive to no avail. Thanks.

P.S. I tried the manual as well.
-Jake.