Re: cost of empty fields

From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt(at)metux(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cost of empty fields
Date: 2005-04-21 02:19:02
Lists: pgsql-admin
* Jim C. Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> wrote:
> If you setup rules on the view and just have the application select,
> insert, update, and delete from the view instead of the raw tables you
> won't need to change your application at all. Though you do need to be
> aware that you can't easily enforce uniqueness across multiple tables.
hmm. that doesnt sound stable enough for me.
this table is really critical and there's a lot of money in game
(realtime currency trading ...)

> As for clearing the fields, if by clearing you mean setting to NULL then
> you're correct, it would save space. Just remember that you won't
> actually be able to use the saved space until the table is vacuumed.
Yes, that's what I had in mind.

Vacuum is no problem. The exchange is closed at weekend, so there's
really enough time for vacuum full analyze :)

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact(at)metux(dot)de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481