RES: RES: How to improve postgres performace

From: "Rodrigo Moreno" <rodrigo(dot)miguel(at)terra(dot)com(dot)br>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RES: RES: How to improve postgres performace
Date: 2005-04-18 17:46:56
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-performance

> That max_fsm_pages value is enough to cover 8Gb, so it should work OK for
a database disk footprint up to 10 or so Gb. > I don't know how many tables
in your installation so I can't say if max_fsm_relations is high enough, but
you can check >that by looking at the tail end of the output of VACUUM
VERBOSE. (Or just count 'em ;-))

The last count in vacuum verbose shows me 92 relations, and I know the lower
value for max_fsm_relations is enough, maybe I'll change to 500.

> Offhand these look reasonable, though, so if you are seeing database bloat
over time it probably means you need to tweak > your autovacuum settings.
I'm not much of an autovacuum expert, but maybe someone else can help you
there.

I'll let the autovacuum running this week to see what happen.

> You might want to keep track of physical file sizes over a period of time
and try to determine exactly where the bloat > is happening.

There is two mostly used and bigger tables, I'll keep eyes on both tables.

Thanks
Rodrigo Moreno