Windows XP PostgreSQL usage

From: Danny Gaethofs <dgaethofs(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Windows XP PostgreSQL usage
Date: 2005-04-18 12:53:07
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear all,

I installed PostgreSQL on my windows xp and on my
windows 2000 system using the postgresql-9.0.msi.

I completed the installation procedure and now I want
to start creating a database.

I have a few questions:
1. during installation I cannot change the directory
where the database should be created. Is there a way
to have the postgresql database stored on another
partition of my hard disk.

2. do i still have to run initdb after installation
using the msi installer

3. I want to create a database which of the tools can
I use:

I noticed pgadminiii provides functionality for
creating a database.

I could also open a command window using runas
/noprofile /user:postgres cmd and try to create a
database there.

4. Can I use a template ? I noticed there is a command
psql to template1, but I read somewhere the template1
is used as the basis for new ... databases or tables
being created. What can I do with templates?

regards,
Danny