Debian stable, was Re: Storing Large Objects

From: Gordon Haverland <ghaverla(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Debian stable, was Re: Storing Large Objects
Date: 2005-04-18 11:12:03
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-performance

On Monday 18 April 2005 00:18, Tom Lane wrote:
> [ jaw drops... ] Debian Stable is shipping 7.2.**1**?
>
> You might want to get yourself a more responsibly managed
> distro. I won't necessarily argue with someone's decision to
> stick on the 7.2 major release, but not to adopt 7.2.* bug
> fixes is mere insanity. 7.2.1 was released more than three
> years ago and has multiple known data-loss and security issues.

It's probably not quite so bad as you think. But it probably as
"stable" (sort of like the Canadian Shield bedrock is stable).
They backport patches to older software. The actual number is
7.2.1-2woody8

The changelog
(http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/p/postgresql/postgresql_7.2.1-2woody8/changelog)
has entries on:

Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:20:03 +0100
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 12:55:44 +0100
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:54:22 +0200
Thu, 13 May 2004 11:00:07 +0200
3 Nov 2003 10:14:08 +0100
8 Sep 2002 19:33:32 +0200
5 Sep 2002 09:49:10 -0400
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:25:41 +0100
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 02:17:31 +0000
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:43:05 +0000
and I believe 40 more entries going back to
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:27:30 +0000

For stable, one can always look to www.backports.org to get newer
software versions, instead of using the sometimes "ancient" stuff
in "stable". Backports has 7.4.7-1 as the version it is
distributing. The changelog file isn't seen in the directory
with the various debs, but the date on the package is:
11-Feb-2005 08:10

I don't run stable myself, but for other people I have had them
doing updates against backports.org for some software.

Gord (just another Debian user)