Re: Database Encoding

From: Aarni Ruuhimäki <aarni(at)kymi(dot)com>
To: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Encoding
Date: 2005-04-16 13:17:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

psql -l gives you your database listing with encoding

bash-2.05b$ psql -l
List of databases
Name | Owner | Encoding
-------------------------+----------+----------
1sthoney | postgres | LATIN1
ami_bulletin | postgres | LATIN1
amiedu_www | postgres | LATIN1
amiedu_www_eng | postgres | LATIN1

The default, template1, is set with initdb command. e.g.

initdb -E LATIN1 ..., so one way to change it is to re-init.

You can create databases with different encoding (from template1) with same
switch e.g.

reatedb mydb -E UTF8 ...

Cheers,

Aarni