Re: BUG #1547: CREATE TYPE AS error

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: John Smith <johnsmit89(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1547: CREATE TYPE AS error
Date: 2005-04-10 21:34:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:55:05PM +0000, John Smith wrote:

> I have already told you the exact command I am using - twice.

Could you post links to the messages in the archives where you twice
identified the command? The only complete CREATE TYPE command I
see is in your original message, which you later admitted contained
a typo:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-03/msg00131.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-03/msg00192.php

I don't see any other messages in this thread with a complete CREATE
TYPE command (except the one I posted).

> I identified the problem in my previous email, and how to reproduce
> it. If you don't have a system with Windows 2000 then find someone
> who does. They will then confirm what I say.

I think you're referring to this message:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-04/msg00025.php

If anybody has a Windows box, could you please test this?

> I resent the implication in your emails that I am some stupid user who
> does't know what he is doing. Insulting your users is not the best way to
> increase your user base.

Whoa. Hold on there. Nowhere did I insult you or imply that you're
stupid -- I've merely asked for enough information that somebody
else could use to duplicate the problem. You yourself admitted
that your original message contained a typo, so I've just been
trying to clarify exactly what you're doing.

Just so you know, I'm not one of the PostgreSQL developers, so
PostgreSQL users aren't "my" users or "my" user base. Like many
who subscribe to these lists, I volunteer my time to help people
because it's A Nice Thing To Do, and hopefully to remove some of
that burden from the developers so they can spend more time developing.
Please consider how your remarks sound to people who really do want
to help and expect nothing in return.

> I have identified the problem, and how to reproduce it. I therefore will
> not engage in any further communication on this matter.

That's too bad, because if a bug exists then your input might have
been useful. Can anybody else with a Windows system reproduce the
problem? The messages in the links above are said to contain enough
information to do so.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/