Re: [sfpug] DATA directory on network attached storage

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [sfpug] DATA directory on network attached storage
Date: 2005-04-08 17:05:45
Lists: pgsql-performance sfpug

Jeff,

>  Specifically is the performance of
> gigE good enough to allow postgres to perform under load with an NFS
> mounted DATA dir?  Are there other problems I haven't thought about?  Any
> input would be greatly appreciated.

The big problem with NFS-mounted data is that NFS is designed to be a lossy
protocol; that is, sometimes bits get dropped and you just re-request the
file. This isn't a great idea with databases.

If we were talking SAN, then I don't see any reason why your plan wouldn't
work. However, what type of failure exactly are you guarding against? How
likely is a machine failure if its hard drives are external?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions