Re: [HACKERS] plPHP in core?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,"Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] plPHP in core?
Date: 2005-04-04 03:58:35
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 08:41:15PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 07:29:02AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >

> >>This argument doesn't hold too much weight. Namely because there are only
> >>3-5 really popular languages out there. They are marketing languages.
> >>The are languages you include because your database doesn't "sound"
> >>complete with out them. Regardless if you can download them separately.
> >>People are lazy. They don't want to download them separately.
> >>
> >>I see those as:
> >>
> >>plPgsql (for Oracle people)
> >>plPerl
> >>plPHP
> >>

> >What databases support perl or php stored procs/functions? Or python for
> >that matter?
> >

> None on the server side (except PostgreSQL) which makes the
> argument all that more powerful :)

So what you're saying is that no database "sounds complete" because no
database includes PHP as a procedural language.

Sorry, but I don't buy it.

From a database comparison/marketing standpoint, the only languages that
matter are C/C++, plpgsql and pljava, because these are the only
languages that other databases support.

Honestly, I think if we're going to spend time worrying about languages
as features then we should be doing more to advertise the fact that
perl/PHP/python/ruby/etc programmers can program in the database in
their native language. This is something that makes PostgreSQL unique
and should provide additional incentive for people to use PostgreSQL. I
don't think it matters much at all if those 'bonus languages' are
included in core or not, at least not to end-users.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant               decibel(at)decibel(dot)org