Re: ARC patent

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Held <dave(dot)held(at)arrayservicesgrp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ARC patent
Date: 2005-04-01 16:36:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Held wrote:
> Why would they have to do that? Why couldn't they just give a license
> for OSS distributions of PostgreSQL, and make commercial distributions
> obtain their own license for the ARC code? Doesn't IBM hire lawyers
> exactly for the purpose of writing complicated legal documents of this
> nature? ;> Or is it that the Postgres team wouldn't use an algorithm
> that wasn't freely available to everyone?

Right. We wouldn't be fully BSD licensed if there was a patent
restriction on making commercial versions of our software. And, if you
don't think commercial versions are important, consider all the
commercial developer help we are getting because our license is so
business-friendly.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us