Re: Driver maintenance continuation

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Philippe Lang <philippe(dot)lang(at)attiksystem(dot)ch>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Driver maintenance continuation
Date: 2005-03-30 06:33:30
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 19:57 +0200, Philippe Lang wrote:
> > The driver history since Hiroshi left, more than one year ago I think,
> > shows clearly that a fresh rewrite was necessary. I'm really happy that
> > you took this decision. Thanks again Joshua. I'm not sure we can really
> > help in another way than beta testing, but who knows. Is there maybe
> > something we can do regarding internationalization?
>
> I think the best way people will be able to help initially will be
> testing and internationalization.
>
> Once the driver is actually released, peer review is always good as
> well as overall just participation within the lists etc...

Until we know the exact license that will be used we should just keep
focusing on our existing driver. Saying it is going to be "open source"
isn't enough of a guarantee that the their new driver will be acceptable
to the community. It might have an advertizing clause, or have some
other restrictions.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us