Re: BUG #1567: can't hide password with pg_autovacuum

From: Olivier Thauvin <olivier(dot)thauvin(at)aerov(dot)jussieu(dot)fr>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1567: can't hide password with pg_autovacuum
Date: 2005-03-29 02:54:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Le Tuesday 29 March 2005 00:40, vous avez écrit :
> The typical way to do this is to use .pgpass in the user's home
> directory. Does that help?

Yes it help, but:
- please notice the issue about ps into the README
- the .pgpass doesn't work on my configuration:

[postgres(at)virgo pgsql]$ pg_autovacuum
[2005-03-29 04:47:32 CEST] ERROR: Failed connection to database template1
with error: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
.
[2005-03-29 04:47:32 CEST] ERROR: Failed connection to database template1
with error: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
.
[2005-03-29 04:47:32 CEST] ERROR: Cannot connect to template1, exiting.

When permission are bad on .pgpass (other than 600), it complain, but failed
to connect on my server. Notice I have seting up access to 'password' to all
connection in my pg_hba.conf. psql... work fine and the password in .pgpass
is ok.

Maybe I will workaround by setting postgres user access as 'trust' for local
connection only, but I have to reread the doc before :).