Re: Delete query takes exorbitant amount of time

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Karim Nassar <karim(dot)nassar(at)NAU(dot)EDU>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Delete query takes exorbitant amount of time
Date: 2005-03-25 21:10:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:

> > > Tom had said SQL99 required this; I have pointed out SQL:2003, which
> > > supercedes the SQL99 standard, does not require this.
> >
> > You're reading the wrong part of SQL:2003. 11.8 <referential constraint
> > definition> syntax rule 9 still has the text I quoted.
>
> So, we have this from SQL:2003 section 11.8 p.550
> - 3a) requires us to have an index
> - 9) requires the data types to be "comparable"
>
> In the name of spec-compliance we wish to accept an interpretation of
> the word "comparable" that means we will accept two datatypes that are
> not actually the same.
>
> So we are happy to enforce having the index, but not happy to ensure the
> index is actually usable for the task?

The indexes "usability" only applies to the purpose of guaranteeing
uniqueness which doesn't depend on the referencing type AFAICS.

> > > Leading us back to my original point - what is the benefit of continuing
> > > with having a WARNING when that leads people into trouble later?
> >
> > Accepting spec-compliant schemas.
>
> I definitely want this too - as you know I have worked on documenting
> compliance previously.
>
> Is the word "comparable" defined elsewhere in the standard?

Yes. And at least in SQL99, there's a bunch of statements in 4.* about
what are comparable.

> Currently, datatypes with similar type categories are comparable and yet
> (in 8.0) will now use the index. So, we are taking comparable to include
> fairly radically different datatypes?

Not entirely. I believe a referenced column of int, and a referencing
column of numeric currently displays that warning, but appears to be
allowed by the spec (as the numeric types are considered mutually
comparable).

> Could it be that because PostgreSQL has a very highly developed sense of
> datatype comparison that we might be taking this to extremes? Would any
> other RDBMS consider two different datatypes to be comparable?

We do have a broader comparable than the spec. However, if we were to
limit it to the spec then many of the implicit casts and cross-type
comparison operators we have would be invalid as well since the comparison
between those types would have to fail as well unless we treat the
comparable used by <comparison predicate> differently.