CLOB encoding (was: Re: [Patch] JDBC3 Blob support)

From: Vadim Nasardinov <vadimn(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CLOB encoding (was: Re: [Patch] JDBC3 Blob support)
Date: 2005-03-24 21:40:15
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
On Thursday 24 March 2005 14:58, Kris Jurka wrote:
> and I pushed you into the CLOB part.  No one else has any feedback

After reading your original comments in
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2005-03/msg00167.php, I had
a couple of questions that I neglected to ask right away.  If you
don't mind clarifying a couple of things for me, here they are:

 * Did I understand correctly that the server does not have an
   encoding associated with CLOB columns?

 * How do other databases deal with this?  Since I haven't touched
   Oracle in a long time, I would appreciate it if someone could
   refresh my recollection.  Do Oracle's CLOBs know their encoding?
   Do Oracle's dbms_lob functions respect the CLOB encoding?