Re: MS Access as front-end, migration from MSDE to POstgreSQL?

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Zlatko "Mati" <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MS Access as front-end, migration from MSDE to POstgreSQL?
Date: 2005-03-24 15:10:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-odbc

--- Zlatko Mati <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have an Access Project aplication (Access with
> MSDE) that want to migrate to PostgreSQL.
> Therefore I need some information about using Access
> as front-end for POstgreSQL, as well as information
> about migration from MSDE to PostgreSQL, especially
> concerning migration of stored procedures.
> Is there any book available ?

There is no single good guide available. You will
find useful information, along with the PostgreSQL
ODBC driver here:

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc/projdisplay.php

For converting data, you have a range of choices. You
may be able to do it as a one shot, using the database
migration wizard that comes with PgAdmin II (I have
had lots of success with that tool). Note that this
version has been replaced with PgAdmin III, which does
not have the wizard (yet). But version II still works
well; you can find it at:

ftp://pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/unsupported/

You will need to rewrite your stored procedures, using
one of the PostgreSQL procedural languages (see docs
for more info). This may be easy or difficult,
depending on how many SPs you have, and how complex
they are. You may want to try translating them into
pl/pgsql, which is based on Oracle pl/sql: this is
conceptually similar to T-SQL, if somewhat different
syntactically.

I have taken the liberty of copying this to the
psql-odbc list, where you can post questions about the
ODBC interface between Access and PostgreSQL. You can
post questions about migration of stored procedures to
the pgsql-sql (or pgsql-general) list.