Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?
Date: 2005-03-18 21:22:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 09:47:24AM -0800, Chris Travers wrote:
> Oracle and DB2 also offer an ability to parallelize queries across
> nodes, so that you can query extremely large (multi-TB) data sets quickly.
>
> They also all market multimaster replication.

"Market" is the operative word in the IBM case, note.  It's a fine
product, no question, but I've never been able to see any significant
way in which it's really multimaster.  And you can actually do the
same sort of thing using the right combination of hardware and
PostgreSQL.  In fact, my colleagues and I (ok, mostly my colleagues
-- I'm relegated to moving the furniture about) doing it right now.

ORAC is in another league entirely.  I hope we can do something about
that soon, too.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland