Re: PHP stuff

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Mark Woodward" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PHP stuff
Date: 2005-03-17 19:17:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Woodward wrote:
> Then, what you are saying, is that anyone could come along and create
> a paper trail calling themselves "The PostgreSQL Global Devlopment
> Group," and claim ownership.

No, the point is that we want to stick at least *some* copyright notice
in the code, so people are advised that the code is copyrighted and
they are given an indication about whom they might contact about it.

According to international treaties, copyright to anything is in fact
owned by whoever created it (or their employer), no matter what the
copyright notice, if any, says. The copyright notice is only a service
to, let's call them honest people, who might want to contact the author
before using code they found. "The PostgreSQL Global Devlopment Group"
serves just fine as a point of contact.

--
Peter Eisentraut