Re: Changing the default wal_sync_method to open_sync for

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Changing the default wal_sync_method to open_sync for
Date: 2005-03-17 05:32:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> I'd like to see this one also considered for 8.0.x, though I'd certainly
>> like to see some more testing as well. Perhaps it's suitable for the
>> "8.0.x with extended testing" that is planned for the ARC replacement
>> code?
>>
>> It does make a huge difference on win32. While we definitly don't want
>> to risk data, a 60% speedup in write intensive apps is a *lot*.
>
> Notice we never default to open_sync. However, on Win32, Magnus got a
> 60% speedup by using open_sync, implemented using
> FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH. Now, because this the fastest on Win32, I
> think we should default to open_sync on Win32. The attached patch
> implements this.

Considering how stable an Operating System Windows *isn't*, I think the
first thing Magnus states very much goes against making this the default:
"While we definitely don't want to risk data..." ...

Setting something like this that increases the risk to data should never
be 'the default behaviour', but a conscious decision on the part of the
administrator of the individual system ... and even then, with a good
skull-n-cross bones warning around it so that they understand the risks

----