Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] UNICODE/UTF-8 on win32

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us,pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] UNICODE/UTF-8 on win32
Date: 2005-03-16 00:47:50
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-hackers-win32
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> I do understand the problem, but don't undertstand the decision you
> guys made. The fact that UPPER/LOWER and some other functions does not
> work in win32 is surely a problem for some languages, but not a
> problem for otheres. For example, Japanese (and probably Chinese and
> Korean) does not have a concept upper/lower. So the fact UPPER/LOWER
> does not work with UTF-8/win32 is not problem for Japanese (and for
> some other languages). Just using C locale with UTF-8 is enough in
> this case.
>
> In summary, I think you guys are going to overkill the multibyte
> support functionality on UTF-8/win32 because of the fact that some
> langauges do not work.
>
> Same thing can be said to EUC-JP, EUC-CN and EUC-KR and so on as well.
>
> I strongly object the policy to try to unconditionaly disable UTF-8
> support on win32.

I have just applied a patch to CVS HEAD and 8.0.X that disables
locale-aware handling of upper/lower/initcap when the locale is C or
POSIX.

With these changes, it seems safe to allow pginstaller to use UTF8
encoding of the locale is C/POSIX.  If we don't do that, I am concerned
that Asian users will either make a hacked installer or be required to
run initdb manually by following complex instructions.

We could throw a warning if the combination is selected as a compromise.