BUG #1546: Temp table isn't deleted at the end of a transaction / ON COMMIT DROP has no effect

From: "Oliver Siegmar" <o(dot)siegmar(at)vitrado(dot)de>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1546: Temp table isn't deleted at the end of a transaction / ON COMMIT DROP has no effect
Date: 2005-03-15 07:50:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1546
Logged by: Oliver Siegmar
Email address: o(dot)siegmar(at)vitrado(dot)de
PostgreSQL version: 7.4.7 / 8.0.1
Operating system: Linux x86
ON COMMIT DROP has no effect
Details:

Hello,

I've probably found a temp table bug in PostgreSQL (tested with 7.4.7 and
8.0.1 on Linux x86).

Here's a demonstration of the bug:

CREATE FUNCTION testfunction()
RETURNS void
AS '
BEGIN
CREATE TEMP TABLE testtable (field int4) ON COMMIT DROP;

INSERT INTO testtable (field) VALUES (1);

-- DROP TABLE testtable;

RETURN;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

database=# SELECT testfunction();

testfunction
--------------

(1 row)

database=# SELECT testfunction();
ERROR: relation with OID 29308882 does not exist
CONTEXT: SQL statement "INSERT INTO testtable (field) VALUES (1)"
PL/pgSQL function "testfunction" line 4 at SQL statement

No transaction has been started manually.

If I drop the temporary testtable manually within the PL/pgSQL function,
everything runs fine. Bug or feature? ;-)

Cheers,
Oliver