Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions
Date: 2005-03-09 08:41:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 19:55:09 -0600,
David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 11:54:03AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 15:57:51 -0600,
> > David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > Mutt recognizes mail-followup-to headers. If people on those other lists
> > don't want personal copies, they should be adding the mail-followup-to
> > header to their posts.
>
> Yes, I've seen this recommended. Also, I think some lists even do this
> for you, don't they? I've not bothered to do this setup because I don't
> post to lists a great lot and it doesn't bother me to get mail in my
> mailbox for these messages.

None that I've heard of, but a lot will mung the reply-to header.

> It may be in setup, but I experimented with this message from you by
> doing a reply and "sending" and after inspecting where it's going,
> aborting.. anyway. IIRC, this message was To: me and CC: pgsql-novice
> and Sean Davis.
>
> "r" would send to you
> "L" to psql-novice and and Sean Davis
> "g" will be (I believe) To: psql-novice and Sean Davis and CC: you
>
> [Correction as a PS. I did a "g" reply for this reply and it still
> skipped you. I can't see the header at this time, but perhaps you have
> set your header to do this?]

Appearantly I do have mail-followup-to set for the postgres lists. That is
a mistake, since on these lists I actually want the copies because they
are often slow. I will be fixing that.

> > You should just be
> > aware that it is possible to post to the lists without being subscribed
> > and if you reply to someone who does this using 'l', they won't get
> > a copy of the response.
>
> IIUC, that's where the poster should set his Mail-Follow-Up To: header

No you want to do this if you are on the list. You should be getting replies
by default if you aren't. The reason you don't want to make people do it
when they aren't on a list, is that they will have to manually add the
header (which is a bit error prone) since their client won't know that they
are sending to a list. When you are on a list you can tell the client once
(in your .muttrc file for mutt) and then you don't have to futz with it again
unless you unsubscribe from the list.