Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com>, John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions
Date: 2005-03-08 17:27:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 01:53:06AM -0500, John DeSoi
> wrote:
> >
> > On Mar 7, 2005, at 4:57 PM, David wrote:
> >
> > >For example, the php-based front-ends require
> apache. It
> > >just seems that in my case, at least, it's asking
> a lot to install
> > >apache on a machine that will never do any
> web-serving elsewhere in
>
> > It is definitely true that the web-based front
> ends need apache or some
> > other web server, but I want to point out that you
> don't need a web
> > server to make use of php. You can create and run
> php scripts just like
> > any other shell script. Using the \! command, you
> could have psql call
> > your script and I'm sure there is a way to run
> psql from php. Here is a
> > reference if you are interested:
>
> That's good to know. At this point I'm trying to
> settle on the route I
> wish to take, and the options seem almost limitless.
>
> One restriction (sort of) that I'm trying to follow
> is that my system is
> Debian and I'm _trying_ to stay within the Debian
> packaging scheme as
> much as possible, although it's not a strict
> requirement.
>
> > http://us3.php.net/features.commandline.php
>
> I have this page up at the moment and will study it.
> Thanks for the link.

dave,

i'm in a similar situation. i'm developing a quality
db. i settled on php/html, apache, adodb and
postgresql 7.4.5 (using cygwin of my dev box, linux
will run on the production box). i'm also using
manuel lemos' forms class.

i've done a vb / access db and i've done two access /
access dbs - not as my primary job, but b/c they
needed to get done.

this is my first foray into open source application
development. the approach i'm taking is *not* to try
and create the gold standard code on my first
application - it takes too much time to get anything
done. i'm gaining valuable experience in why the gold
standard is gold as i'm hacking out bronze. ;-)

i found something that worked well and then recreated
it as required knowing i could be using classes or
functions for lots of stuff - but not knowing exactly
how. i will likely go back and update the code to get
it closer to gold standard - except i will then have
the experience and background to better understand
what the heck is going on.

is it more work, yes. is it a better education? i
think so.

i'd just pick one and go with it. is apache really
that much of a drain on the system? it sounds like
what you really need is something like access
(simplicity to just get the job done) - but i presume
you don't use windows.

what about the db tools available from open office?
i've never used them, but they may be able to help
you. it may be worth investigating.

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!