Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions

From: David <dbree(at)duo-county(dot)com>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting started - Interfacing questions
Date: 2005-03-06 19:57:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 08:20:01AM -0500, John DeSoi wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2005, at 2:07 AM, David wrote:
>
> >So, it all boils down to this - can a serious database be run from psql
> >or is it better to use something else? I believe I could write an app
> >in "C" without much trouble, using my current program for a pattern for
> >the user interfacing, and I'm even thinking about trying my hand
> >at perl or python, but it would be nice to do it all from psql if
> >possible.
>
> If all you need is light reporting, browsing, and editing take a look
> at phpPgAdmin (http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/). It is a nice web
> based administration interface. If you want to extend it, all of the
> source (PHP) is there.

Thanks for the reply.

I run Debian and this is available as a package. I will examine it and
see what it can do for me.

> If you want to do everything in psql, you might also want to take a
> look at pgEdit (http://pgedit.com/). It provides front end for psql,
> including a menu of recently executed files and management of your
> connection information.

I've seen reference to this in the mailing lists. I will examine it.

> For reports I want to see on a regular basis, I have found it very
> convenient to have a process that runs psql and emails the output to
> me.

I'm not sure I'd need to do this. I may be wrong in my terminology, but
when I refer to reports, I mean listing the complete transactions and
summaries, which would be mostly making hard-copy on demand. However,
the idea of mailing periodic reports regarding the status of the database
might be a good idea.