Re: Form Design Advice

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Form Design Advice
Date: 2005-03-02 01:53:30
Lists: pgsql-novice
> You have it backwards.  This can all be done in a
> single script with this
> structure:
> 1.  Check to see if there is any incoming data.  If
> there is incoming data,
> validate it, and insert into your database.
> 2.  Display data from your database.
> 3.  Present an empty form.

frank, i didn't mention it, but i do validate the data
using javascript.  i will eventually add in regular
expressions, too, but that's down the road a bit.

i then insert the data.

i could display the data, but then we are talking two
clicks for each data set entered - or at least some
period of time between form display.  admittedly, i'm
probably being hyper technical here, but one click is
more efficient from the user pov.

enter data -> click -> quickly review data if desired
-> enter more data -> click...  etc.

as opposed to

enter data -> click -> quickly review data -> click ->
enter more data -> click...  etc.

that's 100% increase in required clicks.

i can see the programming logic in the method you
outlined, though.  all those session variables get
rather difficult to manage when lots of data is involved.