Re: mysterious log output

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mysterious log output
Date: 2005-03-02 05:12:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 01 March 2005 12:46, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> This has to be coming from exec_simple_query():
> >
> > I wonder if some statistics were turned on at postmaster start and even
> > though it was turned off and 'pg_ctl reload' was done the
> > checkpoint/bgwriter process isn't reloading for some reason.
>
> The checkpoint/bgwriter never executes exec_simple_query().  I think
> the 5-minute cycle is driven by something in Robert's application,
> rather than being tied to checkpoints.

Actually looking at it now, it happens every 10 minutes, so you're right in
that it doesn't coincide with the bgwriter.  Actually I am pretty sure this
is slony related... the output is always on the same pid, and everything else
output on that pid is slony commands.  Is there some way I could see what
that pid thinks the GUC variables are set to?  I have a wild theory that
slony is preventing the modification of SUSET level variables, but haven't
really got anything solid to back that up.

--
Robert Treat