Re: Referencing created tables fails with message that

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Tommy Svensson <tommy(at)tommysvensson(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Referencing created tables fails with message that
Date: 2005-02-28 05:00:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Tommy Svensson wrote:

> I have just installed Postgresql and tried it for the first time.
>
> One very serious problem I ran into was when actually trying to use
> created tables.
> Creating a simple table without any foreign keys works OK, but after
> creating the
> table it is not possible to do a select on it! I tried the following
> variants:
>
> SELECT * FROM <table>;
> SELECT * FROM public.<table>;
> SELECT * FROM <schema>.public.<table>;
>
> All result in the message "The relation <table> does not exist!" or "The
> relation public.<table> does not exist!".

You haven't given alot of information in the above, but this often happens
if the table was created with double quotes (often implicitly by a tool)
in mixed-case but is referenced without double quotes which causes
case-folding. This also sometimes similarly happens with all uppercase
names because PostgreSQL does folding to lowercase rather than the SQL
folding to uppercase.