select clause not according to SQL standard

From: Klaus Ita <klaus(at)worstofall(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: select clause not according to SQL standard
Date: 2005-02-25 13:52:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs
hi all!

i am using version 7.4.7/Debian of postgres.

as far as i understand the standard, the following situation should not
be possible. neither is it stated in the manual that the select is not
conforming to the standard.

i have the following data:

table L:
LNR 	ORT 	LCODE 	MENGE
L1 	Graz 	A 	1000
L2 	Wien 	C 	500
L3 	Wien 	C 	1500
L4 	Linz 	B 	1000
L5 	Graz 	B 	300

table P:
PNR 	PNAME 	ORT 	PREIS
P1 	Alpha 	Wien 	50.00
P2 	Delta 	Linz 	95.00
P3 	Sigma 	Linz 	75.00
P4 	Omega 	Wien 	40.00

now the problem:

select l.ort;
gives:

ORT
Graz
Wien
Wien
Linz
Graz

select l.ort from p;
gives:

ORT
Graz
Wien
Wien
Linz
Graz
Graz
Wien
Wien
Linz
Graz
Graz
Wien
Wien
Linz
Graz
Graz
Wien
Wien
Linz
Graz

i know what it is doing, but still i feel this should be considered a
bug as this "feature" is very inviting to bugs in scripts. i asked
around and everybody seems very astounished by the results one gets here
from postgres.
please let me know if i am mistaken
i thank you 1000000 times for your excellent work! -> i am trying to
replace oracle with postgres at our university and the more
standard-compliant postgresql is, the better are my chances :-)

regs,
klaus

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Klaus ItaDate: 2005-02-25 13:55:58
Previous:From: Alexis WilkeDate: 2005-02-25 07:10:20
Subject: BUG #1507: CREATE RULE commands atomicity