Re: [JDBC] Where are we on stored procedures?

From: "Francisco Figueiredo Jr(dot)" <fxjrlists(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Where are we on stored procedures?
Date: 2005-02-24 21:49:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

--- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> escreveu:
> Gavin and Neil made some noise in late September about implementing
> stored procedures for PG 8.1, but I haven't heard anything more about
> it since that thread died off. I've been getting some pressure inside
> Red Hat to see us support more of the JDBC CallableProcedure spec, so
> I'd like to reopen the discussion.

I don't know if I can talk about it here, but here I go. Please let me know if
it is not appropriate.

> In the previous discussion starting here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-09/msg00702.php
> it seemed that we were bandying around several different issues.
> People wanted "procedures" to differ from our current implementation
> of "functions" in such ways as:
>

> 2. Having OUT parameters, and perhaps also INOUT parameters. At least
> in the JDBC spec, these are seen as scalar values, and so the feature
> is really just syntactic sugar for returning a composite type or row
> value. For instance, a procedure foo(x IN int, y OUT text, z OUT float)
> could perhaps be called via
> SELECT y, z FROM foo(42);
> where foo(x) is seen as returning the rowtype (y text, z float).

That would be very good.

Could I add another item?

Could we have the row count of statements executed inside a procedure/function
returned to client?

I know Tom Lane, that you already talked about that this could be unnecessary,
but we from Npgsql sometimes get reports about the support of needing to know
the number of rows affected by a function/procedure call.

You told me about the get diagnostics ROWCOUNT and it worked like a charm, but
I was thinking about something without the need to change the procedure, as
even this modification needs some aware of client to be able to get the result.

Please, jdbc guys, if you know some easy way of doing this, please let me know
so I can implement in Npgsql.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.