Re: shutdown postmaster question

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: shutdown postmaster question
Date: 2005-02-24 18:27:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- George Weaver <gweaver(at)shaw(dot)ca> wrote:

> You might find starting and stopping postmaster
> easier by using pg_ctl. Eg
> in a batch file the following will stop the server:
>
> bash pg_ctl stop -D /usr/share/postgresql/data
>
> Regards,
> George

i tried pg_ctl with no luck. i started with

pg_ctl start

but my pgdata environment variable wasn't set and i
couldn't quickly find out how to set it via the docs.

i then tried

pg_ctl /usr/share/postgresql/data start

and received an invalid operation mode error.

i'm not sure how pg_ctl handles the "-i" issue (tcp/ip
connections) and whether the trailing "&" is required
using pg_ctl. the docs and my php/pgsql book were
unclear after an admittedly quick review.