Re: Peformance Tuning Opterons/ Hard Disk Layout

From: Michael Adler <adler(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: John Allgood <john(at)turbocorp(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Peformance Tuning Opterons/ Hard Disk Layout
Date: 2005-02-23 19:50:59
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 02:15:52PM -0500, John Allgood wrote:
> using custom scripts. Maybe I have given a better explanation of the
> application. my biggest concern is how to partition the shared storage
> for maximum performance. Is there a real benifit to having more that one
> raid5 partition or am I wasting my time.

I think the simplest and most generic solution would be to put the OS
and pg_xlog on a RAID 1 pair and dedicate the rest of the drives to
RAID 5 or RAID 1+0 (striped set of mirrors) array.

Depending on the nature of your work, you may get better performance
by placing individual tables/indices on dedicated spindles for
parallel access.

 -Mike Adler