Glad I could help.
I am no expert on this stuff either, but after some experiment LATIN1 is what
I ended up using. Works with Scandinavian and German umlauts too and even
with russian characters. I create my dbs manually via terminal and clients
access them with browser interface through internet. We are using RH, FC2 and
TSL (Trustix Secure Linux) as servers.
On Friday 18 February 2005 22:37, you wrote:
> Looking deeper into the matter (which I admit I am a bit ignorant on) I
> think you hit the nail on the head.
> Coming from MSSQL which is using Latin I may have to use Latin1.
> It works ok as SQL_ASCHII, but lower does not work, so hopefully using
> LATIN1 I can store the chars and also get lower to work etc.
> Thanks so much for the help.
> I have been very confused as I could create a Unicode db and even save the
> French values using pgadmin or .net connection, but the odbc would not
> work. I hope it works ok with the LATIN1.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Aarni Ruuhimäki [mailto:aarni(at)kymi(dot)com]
> Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 10:25 AM
> To: Joel Fradkin
> Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
> Subject: Re: [SQL] trrouble inserting stuff like é
> I use LATIN1 encoding and it works fine with accented characters. So try
> creating your db with -E LATIN1 switch. Or even initdb -E LATIN1 if you
> your dbs default to that.
> Best regards,
> On Friday 18 February 2005 16:59, you wrote:
> > I wrote a program to read my database (from MSSQL) and write it to
> > Postgres. It appeared to work great the first time I ran it, but the
> > database was SQL_ASCII (It defaulted to this when I created it from the
> > command line on the linux box using createdb.
> > When I tried to restore it I used PGAdmin on my XP machine which created
> > a Unicode database.
> > I was unable to restore the SQL_ASCII to the Unicode, so I re-ran my
> > on a Unicode database.
> > Now I get all kinds of errors from the .net program (which I have write
> > the actual SQL on each error).
> > When I cut and paste the SQL into PGADMIN it runs ok, so it only gives an
> > error using .net ODBC.
> > Any one have any clues for me to follow?
> > Here is an example of a SQL line that did not run in .net.
> > insert into
> > tblSuspectedActivity(ClientNum,ID,Value,IsDeleted,PresentationID)
> > values('FREN',4,'Paiement à
> > account',False,2)
> > Joel Fradkin
> > ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> > TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org so that your
> > message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
> This is a bugfree broadcast to you
> from **Kmail**
> on **Fedora Core 2** linux system
In response to
pgsql-sql by date
|Next:||From: Theo Galanakis||Date: 2005-02-21 00:52:14|
|Subject: FW: Working with XML.|
|Previous:||From: Bret Hughes||Date: 2005-02-19 04:08:12|
|Subject: Re: what does ONLY do|