Question Regarding Procedural Function (store procedure)

From: b t <qtboyzz(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question Regarding Procedural Function (store procedure)
Date: 2005-02-17 02:11:16
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hi, first of all thanks for taking the time to read my message. I'm new to Sql and is very confuse of how to write a procedural function. I want to write a function that check if the data is aready in the table then it should not add to the table instead of linking it to the table. This is what I mean, I have a movies table and a stars table and a stars_in_movies (this table keep track of the stars in what movies). So I'm suppose to write a store procedure that add the movie to the database, if there is a star in the new movies then is already exist in the stars table then it should link that star to the new movie.
thanks in advance
-brian