Re: [ADMIN] Migration of log features from 7.4 to 8.0

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Szűcs Gábor <surrano(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Migration of log features from 7.4 to 8.0
Date: 2005-02-12 23:48:18
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-patches
Szcs Gbor wrote:
> Dear Gurus,
>
> Please show me to the right manual/discussion if my questions are already
> answered/solved.
>
> 1. DEBUG message level separation:
>
> In v7.3 there were the annoying DEBUG messages Start/CloseTransactCommand.
> In v7.4 you could eliminate them from user DEBUG messages by logging from
> 	DEBUG2 level.
> In v8.0.0rc4, they are back at DEBUG2 level.
>
> Is there a way to eliminate them AND keep user DEBUG messages (i.e.
> plpgsql's "RAISE DEBUG")

I looked at the plpgsql code and saw this:

                | K_DEBUG
                    {
                        $$ = DEBUG2;
                    }

I think that should be DEBUG1.  This was pushed to DEBUG2 from DEBUG1 in
7.4 because we moved GUC debug output from LOG to DEBUG1:

	date: 2003/05/27 17:49:47;  author: momjian;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
	Make debug_ GUC varables output DEBUG1 rather than LOG, and mention in
	docs that CLIENT/LOG_MIN_MESSAGES now controls debug_* output location.
	Doc changes included.

I think because this is a plpgsql-specified output of DEBUG it makes
sense it should be DEBUG1 too.

The attached patch moves a plpgsql DEBUG to DEBUG1.  It also fixes a few
place where DEBUG1 usage has crept in that should be DEBUG2. This will
be in 8.1

> 2. CONTEXTs and HINTs
>
> Looked up all the lines in postgresql.conf, but couldn't find the one to
> turn CONTEXT and HINT lines after notices or errors. They proved to be very
> useful, but can't make them be logged in v8. Is there a way?

Sure:

	log_error_verbosity = default  # terse, default, or verbose messages

> 3. redirect_stderr bogus?
>
> Activating redirect_stderr, setting log_dir, log_file and all the rotate
> params, it looked to me that all output the logger produced were 'db system
> ready' and 'shut down', and not even these lines appeared in the log file.
> May it be a bug, or simply the fact that a nonempty file already existed
> (from redirected stdout, as described above)<

Sorry, I am confused on how to answer this.