Re: BUG #1473: Backend bus error, possibly due to ANALYZE

From: "Brian B(dot)" <brian-pgsql(at)bbdab(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1473: Backend bus error, possibly due to ANALYZE
Date: 2005-02-12 03:02:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:46:50PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Brian B." <brian-pgsql(at)bbdab(dot)org> writes:
> > I use the FreeBSD PostgreSQL port and I set the option to use threads so
> > that pl/python will work with PostgreSQL.
>
> What option is that, exactly?
>
> It's entirely possible that something has decided that the backend is
> going to be multithreaded and is only giving the "main" thread a
> 1MB-or-so stack. If so, I would regard this as a build error. We do
> not want threading libraries linked into the backend.

Apologies, due to message revising, I forgot to include the explanation of what
this port setting entails.

When setting the "LIBC_R" option, the FreeBSD port essentially sets CFLAGS to
-D_THREAD_SAFE and LDFLAGS to -pthread. This is probably due to the Python
procedural handler not being able to link with PostgreSQL until PostgreSQL
is built pthread-aware. I could be wrong on all of this, but it seems to
work as such. Unfortunately, this has some unforeseen broken behavior for
PostgreSQL that was sorta hard to debug. :)

Perhaps there is another way around it. I think the situation now is that I
should converse with the FreeBSD port developer rather than using up your time.

Thank you,

Brian B.