Re: Where do we need servers?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where do we need servers?
Date: 2005-02-11 18:45:09
Lists: pgsql-www
Marc,

> Agreed, but the cause of the 12hr+ downtimes were due to fsck taking as
> long as it did, and that has been fixed.  Its the '3 days downtime' that
> we need to avoid in the future, where its not a hardware, but a provider,
> issue ...

And these sorts of things will occur again in the future.   Our
(ethosmedia.com) servers have had better uptime than postgresql.org, but even
we've been offline for a half-day twice in the last 18months due to DDOS
attacks downing the firewall box.  Outages *will* happen, and you're doing
the whole community a disservice to pretend that they won't.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions