Re: Connecting without specifying a database

From: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
To: Murray Cumming <murrayc(at)murrayc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Connecting without specifying a database
Date: 2005-02-10 14:38:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 12:50:23PM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:

> Can PQconnectdb(), or something else, be used without specifying the
> dbname in the connection string? I want to connect just so that I can
> create a database that does not exist yet.

See "Environment Variables" in the libpq chapter of the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/libpq-envars.html

> When I don't specify the dbname, PQconnectdb() tries to connect to a
> database with the same name as the user, and then complains that it does
> not exist. Is it really necessary for each user to have an empty
> database like this?

No, but you have to connect to *some* database.  As Robert Treat
mentioned, you could connect to template1 if you just need to issue
a CREATE DATABASE statement.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/