Re: Problem with asynchronous connect in 8.0.1

From: Chad Robinson <taskswap(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with asynchronous connect in 8.0.1
Date: 2005-02-08 19:30:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

--- Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Chad Robinson <taskswap(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> > I'm not sure I can use Postgres though. I'm having a terrible time
> > getting large numbers of clients connected. I need to have upwards
> > of 8000 clients attached at any one time.
>
> Unless you actually need 8000 simultaneous transactions in process,
> connection pooling is the way to go. I haven't played much with pgpool
> though --- it may have a few issues to shake out ...

It seems so. I have to have this many connections, because for security and
privacy reasons the processes involved are isolated. There are about
1000-1200 per box, 4-8 boxes, depending on how I load-balance things. Unless
you know some way to REDUCE memory usage per Postgres client connection,
we'll see how things go with pgpool.

Thanks for your help.

-Chad