BUG #1468: psql_dump is not backward compatible

From: "Tobias Brox" <tobias(at)nordicbet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #1468: psql_dump is not backward compatible
Date: 2005-02-07 14:34:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 1468
Logged by: Tobias Brox
Email address: tobias(at)nordicbet(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.0
Operating system: Linux, gentoo
Details:

I have a situation where my peers is using PG 7.4.6, and they are pretty
pissed off at me for using PG 8.0 - the DB dumps are incompatible. The
command I use for generating the dump is "pg_dump -Oa NBET".

I don't have version 7.4.6 installed myself, so I cannot reproduce this
reliably on my own.

We use serial primary keys, the problem reported by my peers is that PG
7.4.6 needs an "update sequence" on all the primary keys. The old data dump
outputs lines on this form:

SELECT pg_catalog.setval('user_group_id_seq', 5, False);

PG 8.0 swallows the old data without problems, so I suppose it's needed with
a switch for backword compatibility there.

I tried pg_dump with the parameters "OaD" (make full "insert"-statements,
should be compatible with anything), but this was rejected by my peers.

I think the problem should be reproducable with the information above, if
not I can try install PG 7.4.6
to create some comparable dumps with PG 8.0 and PG 7.4.6.