Re: ran vacuum, ran out of space, cant bring up psql

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Pam Eggler" <peggler(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ran vacuum, ran out of space, cant bring up psql
Date: 2005-02-03 17:14:59
Lists: sfpug

Welcome to SFPUG!  Are you in San Francisco, the East Bay, or what?

> I noticed I was running low on space on my system, so I found this vacuum
> command. I ran it and it failed because it ran out of space:
> vacuum mytable;
> FATAL 2:  ZeroFill failed to write
> /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog/xlogtemp.23895: No space left on device

> I cleared out that dir and then tried to go back into my database and I get
> this error:

Um, do you mean to say that you cleared out the XLOG directory!?!?  If so, I
hope you have a backup ...

> psql fsp
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
> 	Is the server running locally and accepting
> 	connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

Well, the error you got is a "postgresql is shutting down" error.   So you'd
need to restart.   But not if you're still out of disk space, and not if you
just wiped the xlog directory.

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco