Re: Shared dependency patch

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Shared dependency patch
Date: 2005-01-31 02:04:54
Lists: pgsql-patches
Hackers,

Here is a newer version of the shared dependency patch.  I keep the
previous description below.  Changes from the previous version are:

- Removed several bogus elog(NOTICE)
- Groups are checked at deletion for dependencies
- I noticed a couple of tests (cluster and privileges) were leaving
  orphaned objects, so with this patch they would leave users behind.
  (consequently, future runs of the tests would fail).
- Added simple regression testing.

New files are

src/backend/catalog/pg_shdepend.c
src/include/catalog/pg_shdepend.h
src/test/regress/sql/dependency.sql
src/test/regress/expected/dependency.sql

Comments are welcome.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:04:53PM -0300, I wrote:

> Patchers,
>
> Here is the latest installation of my shared dependency patch.
> As some of you may remember, the purpose of this patch is to record
> dependencies on shared objects, such as users, groups and tablespaces,
> from regular database objects.  This is done on a new shared system
> catalog called pg_shdepend, so that when a backend wants to drop any
> shared object, it can easily verify whether it is referenced in other
> database.
>
> I have upgraded the patch to include references present in ACLs, and to
> lock the objects appropiately before checking.  To do this I had to
> change the LOCKTAG struct somewhat, using a previous patch by Rod Taylor
> (thanks Rod!); and add a LockSharedObject() function.

Major Fambrough: You wish to see the frontier?
John Dunbar: Yes sir, before it's gone.