Re: Pg database, need a solution to a problem

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Adam Wilson <svt_contour(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pg database, need a solution to a problem
Date: 2005-01-30 16:56:04
Lists: pgsql-general
On Friday 28 January 2005 15:42, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get the
> > testcase id's and suite's replicated to the production
> > database with out touching the other tables in there?
> > I would just do a pg_dump on selected tables, but
> > there are sequences in the DB for adding new suites,
> > and testcases and I don't want these getting out of
> > sync.  Or can I copy the sequence id's as well so they
> > are updated on the production Pg DB?
>
> You could run replication for just the tables you need.
> Check out www.slony.info or www.commandprompt.com

Since you may not want to have real time replication going (don't push up new
test cases until they make it out of test), I wonder if something like Robert
Kaye's lazy replication system he uses for music brainz might be more
applicable.  I can't recall if his OSCon talk is linked from techdocs, but it
should be available on the OSCon 2004 site.  Google on some of the above
words to find out more info.

--
Robert Treat