Re: Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema objects with one command

From: Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema objects with one command
Date: 2005-01-29 02:46:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 09:17:46PM +0100, Matthias Schmidt wrote:
>
> > a) accept some sort of wildcard for the grant on table syntax:
> > GRANT ... ON TABLE schema.*
>
> What about a list,
>
> GRANT ... ON TABLE table1, table2, ... TO user1, user2, ...;
>
> It would be good if it was a list of wildcards. Not sure if that is
> workable.

Actually, what I'd *love* to see is for statements such as GRANT to
allow select result sets to be used in place of arguments, e.g.:

GRANT ... ON TABLE (SELECT table_schema || '.' || table_name FROM
information_schema.tables WHERE table_schema IN ('public', 'postgres'))
TO (SELECT usename from PG_USER WHERE usecatupd = true);

Actually, it would be very nice if all DDL statements could work that
way.

--
Kevin Brown kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com