Re: [pgsql-hackers] Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers] Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema
Date: 2005-01-29 00:33:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> This however seems a rather whimsical reinvention of the meaning of
> CASCADE.  I'm not sure if we really need to support both immediate and
> delayed inheritance of privileges from a schema, but if we do, let's
> please use some other keyword than CASCADE to distinguish the cases.
> Also it'd probably be better if they were independent commands, rather
> than one subsuming the other as you suggest.

Hmm, what about using, ALL and NEW?   i.e.

GRANT SELECT ON NEW TABLES IN public TO phpuser;
GRANT SELECT ON ALL TABLES IN public TO phpuser;

The first sets defaults for new objects, the second sets permissions on
existing tables, and this:

GRANT SELECT ON ALL, NEW TABLES IN public TO phpuser;

... does both.

Of course, this assumes that tables named "new" or "all" are not possible ...
are those reserved?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus