Re: dbsize patch

From: Ed Loehr <ed(at)LoehrTech(dot)com>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>,Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dbsize patch
Date: 2005-01-28 17:30:20
Lists: pgsql-patches
If the C code for the prior dbsize patch is not acceptable for whatever
reason, here's a SQL-based patch to replace it.  It's not a drop-in for
7.3/7.4 as I'd hoped, only an 8.1 patch.  I believe it is functionally
equivalent to the C patch, but simpler, shorter, and probably a tad slower.
I also removed the README section on how to aggregate since it was
incomplete/incorrect (it didn't count toasted indices) and added a SQL
function that itemizes the size for a relation's table and index data
(helpful to us in identifying bloat, measuring performance, capacity
estimation, etc).

Ed