Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle vs. Microsoft
Date: 2005-01-25 17:59:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 04:35:38PM +0000, Randolf Richardson wrote:

> Yes, indeed, that will be. My feeling is that Network Solutions
> actually manages the .NET and .COM registries far better than anyone else
> does, and when .ORG was switched away I didn't like the lack of flexibility
> that I have always enjoyed with .NET and .COM -- the problem is that I have
> to create a separate account and password for each .ORG internet domain
> name now and can't just use one master account and password for all of
> them, and if the same folks are going to be running .NET then I'm going to
> wind up having more management to do for that one as well (and I'm not
> talking about just a mere handlful of internet domain names either).

Wildly off-topic, but that's registrar driven, not registry driven.
I have a range of domains (.com, .net, .org and others) all accessed
from a single login through a single registrar. You need to use a
better registrar.

As a bit of obPostgresql, though... While the registry for .org is
run on Postgresql, the actual DNS is run on Oracle. That choice was
driven by the availability of multi-master replication.

Like many of the cases where the problem looks like it needs
multi-master replication, though, it doesn't really need it. A single
master at any one time, but with the ability to dub any of the slaves
a new master at any time would be adequate. If that were available for
Postgresql I'd choose it over Oracle were I doing a big distributed
database backed system again.

Cheers,
Steve