how to make a trigger to copy files.

From: Mitchell Laks <mlaks(at)verizon(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: how to make a trigger to copy files.
Date: 2005-01-23 18:47:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi.

I have a postgresql database backed application. As soon as the application
stores a file on my server, it creates a entry in a table LOCATION_TABLE
which stores the file location in the table in my postgresql database (eg. in
LOCATION_TABLE in database MASTER).

I have read about triggers and wondered if I could use them.
I would like my server to immediately "scp" the file to another machine, as
soon as the application updates the table with the new entry. (right now i
have a cron job that runs a perl script that queries the database for new
entries every 5 minutes, but i would like to have the new file (whose
location is stored in the new LOCATION_TABLE entry) to be "scp"'d
immediately, not after 5 minutes. Also a trigger seems more elegant...

But when i look for sample triggers on the web they seem to only do things
internal to the database (change field entries etc, check them for business
logic rules etc).

I am running postgresql 7.4.6 on debian sarge. I am most familiar with perl.
Could i create a database trigger to run a script like
system("scp $filename $destination");
where $filename is extracted from the entry just made into the database, and
$destination is my other pc?

Thanks,
Mitchell Laks