Re: Best Linux Distribution

From: Vittorio <v(dot)demartino2(at)virgilio(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date: 2005-01-20 13:47:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Alle 10:09, giovedì 20 gennaio 2005, Bruno Almeida do Lago ha scritto:
> I still opt for Slackware simplicity and stability. Nothing better than a
> well configured Slackware box with XFS file system and PostgreSQL! =)
>
> C Ya,
> Bruno

For a generic use of postgresql, binary packages in any linux distribution
are good and reliable. In some cases, i.e. in a production context where you
have to optimize your postgresql, the ability of configuring and compiling
postgresql from sources is a must. This should make you use a more flexible
distribution like slackware and gentoo with which you can prepare your linux
box from scratch by compiling everything according to your needs (it isn't
enough to have a binary linux distribituion installed and only postgresql
compiled from sources).

Ciao
Vittorio