Re: psql 8.0.0 rc5 parser error on \dt?

From: Dave Bodenstab <dave(at)bodenstab(dot)org>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql 8.0.0 rc5 parser error on \dt?
Date: 2005-01-18 09:43:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Dave Bodenstab <dave(at)bodenstab(dot)org> writes:
> > I built 8.0.0rc5 on FreeBSD 4.8. It built with no errors. I then
> > tried psql using another host running postgresql 7.1.3 and I get the
> > goofy error message shown below.
>
> psql's backslash commands are only guaranteed to work with a server of
> the same version. Trying 8.0 against a prehistoric server like that
> is going to result in all kinds of oddness. (Look at the actual
> queries with -E to see why.)

That was it, thank you. I've now got 8.0.0rc5 installed and running.
The \dt command of psql works fine.

I wonder if it might be possible to issue an error message that
reflects the incompatible version situation that I encountered.
The message I got led me to believe that there was some sort of
parse error in the input I was typing. Had the error message told
me that the DB versions did not match and that unpredictable results
could occur, I might have figured out the problem myself -- or at
least tried it against 8.0.0rc5 once I got it running.

Anyway, thanks again for your response.

Dave Bodenstab