Re: Problems with infinity

From: Oliver Siegmar <o(dot)siegmar(at)vitrado(dot)de>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with infinity
Date: 2005-01-18 07:12:20
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
On Tuesday 18 January 2005 01:50, Kris Jurka wrote:
> The counter argument is that eventually the todo item will be done and
> that the supposed "cleanliness" is just an illusion because no other
> database is going to allow you store a timestamp of Long.MAX_VALUE so
> there is already an implicit assumption of using pg, why not make it
> explicit?

I did some research to find other databases / jdbc drivers that are able to
set infinity values for timestamps. Unfortunately I haven't found one. Oracle
seems to support infinity values but I couldn't find any driver
implementation details. Does someone here has kwnoledge about different jdbc
implementations and their infinity usage?

The current infinity implementation in pgjdbc is a hack, because you have to
set/get magic values that represents '-infinity' and 'infinity', but it is
imho the best way to do until there might be an NEGATIVE_INFINITY and
POSITIVE_INFINTIY for java.util.Date like the one for java.lang.Double.

Oliver